3 Mistakes You’re Making With Your Candles and How to Fix Them


lit candle 

Before I became a candle maker I didn’t know anything about taking good care of my candles so they are at their best until the very end. After learning this craft, I realised how simple it is and how surprising it is that most people actually don’t know about it.

So here it is, a list of the 3 most common mistakes that people make with their candles and how to fix them:

  • Burning your candle not long enough

Let’s say you’re going to take a shower or a bath and you feel like lighting a candle to create some relaxing atmosphere. Once you’re done, you blow out your candle and you notice only a small part has actually melted.

Unfortunately, when we let the candle burn for a short amount of time, a funnel starts forming which means that next time you light it, that funnel will grow and the wax closer to the jar won’t melt. This is a very common mistake that everyone has made at least once, but its solution is super easy!

Solution: Simply let your candle burn for a longer period of time before you decide to blow it out - make sure you do this each time - and double check that the top layer of the candle has melted evenly. By doing this, you avoid the creation of a funnel and have a good-shaped candle until the very end.

  • Burning your candle for too long!

There is always a maximum amount of time which is recommended to burn your candle, otherwise, it could become unstable and not be the safest to have around.

A lot of people enjoy going to sleep with a burning candle on their nightstand, and I must admit the idea is kinda cozy. However, it’s not the safest and I definitely discourage to do it.

What happens when you let your candle burning for too long? Carbon will start collecting on your wick, which is known as mushrooming. This will result in your flame becoming unstable and too large and smoke gets released into the air. Such a bad idea!

Solution: Burn your candles a maximum of 4 hours at a time and never leave it unattended.

  • Never trimming the wick

This is something that I would have never thought about before I became a candle maker, and it makes such a huge difference!

As I mentioned before, carbon collecting on the wick is something known as “mushrooming”. This will happen after burning the candle a few times and it can be easily identified when there is a little black mushroom-shaped piece on the top of your wick.

When we light the candle after carbon has been collected, once it starts burning, the wick will start sparking which means that it’s unstable and not the safest.

Solution: Trim the wick and cut off the accumulation of carbon on the top. This will make your candle stable and safe again.

There is nothing like having a “healthy” candle throughout its whole life, and applying these little tips will make that burning your candle becomes a great experience like the first day you lighted it.

Do you feel curious about our candles? Check our different scents and pick your favourite!

We would highly appreciate if you could share this post with your friends and family so they are aware of these tips too and make the experience a lot better for everyone.

Photo by Annie Theby on Unsplash.